The Paradise Citizensʼ Alliance (PCA) is a non-partisan, diverse group of active local citizens dedicated to improving the quality of life for all our citizens. Our citizensʼ alliance is modeled after the civic improvement leagues that existed in many communities across this nation.
The PCA carries out our mission in various ways. We take reasoned and well-informed positions on various local and regional issues that may have a significant impact on our community; we encourage greater citizen involvement and engagement in our community; and we develop with other community-based organizations programs, projects, and events which measurably improve Paradiseʼs quality of life.
The Paradise Citizensʼ Alliance (PCA) is pleased to announce that our organization is now under the 501(3)c non-profit umbrella of the North Valley Community Foundation (NVCF) located in Chico, California.
You can support the important work the PCA is doing to help improve Paradise by making donations. All donations no matter what the amount are very much appreciated.
Donations are tax deductible and can be made payable by check to “NVCF/ Paradise Citizensʼ Alliance” and mailed to North Valley Community Foundation, 240 Main Street, Suite 260, Chico, CA 95928.
Thank you for your support!
The PCAʼs February 12 “An Evening With Lawrence Guber” fundraiser was a huge success. It was an evening of phenomenally great musical entertainment by the two time Grammy winner and lead guitarist for Paul McCartney and his Wings band, a well as some of our very talented local musicians who played to a packed house. In addition, it raised needed funds for the PCAʼs current and future community - based advocacy efforts, programs, and projects.
A very special thank you goes to Jim Clarkson for the outstanding job he did with planning and organizing this fantastic musical event, to Paradise Rotary for providing the no-host bar, to Donn & Gerri Thomson for donating their Sierra-Hall facility, to the Comfort Inn for donating the room for our headliner Lawrence Guber, and to Chuck & Patty Rough and Sandee Williams for providing the Hors dʼ oeuvres.
Paradise Citizensʼ Alliance Chair Chuck Rough traveled to Redding in August, 2014 to appear and be interviewed on KIXEʼs “The Forum” program.
Rough discussed the PCAʼs formation, the results of our community-wide, quality of life survey in late 2013, and a number of the PCAʼs upcoming projects including our newly approved student entrepreneur program and class at Paradise High school slated for the 2014.15 school term.
Watch the program Online here.
The “Speak Up for Paradise” community-wide, quality of life survey the PCA conducted through SurveyMonkey.com, in 2013, was for the purpose of learning what our citizens thought about the quality of life in Paradise, and identifying where there are quality of life challenges and issues. The survey results have served as a significant part of PCAʼs focus ever since.
To view a PDF summary of the survey results, click here.
While the PCA supports in principle the concept of a sewer for our downtown and other commercially zoned areas in Paradise, we reserve any formal support for an actual sewer project until the Town completes a number of sewer-related studies. These studies will determine which design alternative is the most cost effective, and if such a project is financially and economically feasible.
In October, 2015, the PCA submitted to the Town of Paradise a list of questions we urged the Town to include in their future sewer-related studies. Recent news that the Town has secured a grant to fund some of these studies is encouraging.
The PCA believes that our businesses and property owners in the downtown and other commercially zoned areas along the Skyway, Pearson Road and Clark Road deserve answers to these questions before the Town makes a final decision green lighting a sewer project in Paradise. To access this list of questions submitted to the Town click here.
Since its inception, the PCA has taken positions of advocacy and support on various issues and projects that the PCA determined would measurably improve the quality of life in Paradise. These include:
• In 2014, the PCA endorsed the Town of Paradise sponsored Measure C ballot measure which the voters approved and that established a 6-year temporary sales tax increase to fund public safety and infrastructure improvements. Our support was also because the ballot measure included the establishment of a citizensʼ oversight committee to ensure that the proceeds of the sales increase go for their intended purpose. The PCA continues to monitor the implementation of Measure C.
• Endorsed the Townʼs Skyway Downtown Safety Improvement Project primarily to improve safety for pedestrians and motorists.
• At the Townʼs request, wrote letters of support for three separate State grant funded sidewalk improvement projects
• At the Townʼs request, wrote letters of support for several separate State transportation grants for various types of pedestrian improvements
• Helped establish in 2014/15 with the PUSD a high school student entrepreneur class at Paradise High School which is affiliated with the Students for the Advancement of Global Entrepreneurship (SAGE) Program at Chico State University. In its second year, our PHS student entrepreneur program which we help coordinate will for next school term not only be considered a CTE class, but PHS seniors taking the class will get senior project credit.
• Participated in the PUSDʼs three LCAP Advisory Committee processes and provided our groupʼs input on LCAP funding priorities
• Serve on the Butte County Office of Educationʼs STEM/STEAM Advisory Council
• At the PUSDʼs request, provided input in the search process for a new superintendent
• Co-sponsored with PRPD Youth Summits I & II that included youth representatives from Paradise youth organizations, identified youth determined community concerns and priorities, and sets the stage for Youth Summit III in October, 2016 with youth working with community leaders to address those priorities.
Weʼre non-partisan and we donʼt endorse candidates for public office, but weʼre launching our Election Year 2016 “Speak Up Paradise & Vote!” campaign to increase voter awareness about local issues and to encourage voter turnout in the June primary and November election.
The PCA will be conducting taped interviews of all candidates running for 5th District Supervisor, Paradise Town Council, PUSD School Board, Paradise Irrigation District, and Paradise Recreation & Parks District. These taped interviews will be posted on our website for any Paradise voter to access and view.
Weʼre kicking off the first series of these interviews with interviews of all our 5th District Supervisor candidates. Click the link for each candidate below to view their interview.